[EDEQUITY] Help(Home Schooling Strategies)

From: C123S105L@aol.com
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 17:05:25 EDT

    Dear Edequity: A few days ago I sent two letters to edequity asking for
    suggestions regarding the fact that my daughter, who is now 12, has decided

    to be home schooled for a year and see how she likes it. We are happy at
    the
    prospect but I have now began to panick a little realizing how hard it is
    suddenly become a teacher when that is not one's profession. I have sent
    for
    massives amounts of information and recently purchased a book with 860
    pages
    and almost as many entries regarding home schooling
    curriculum resources for every single subject conceivable. The only
    problem,
    of course, being the fact that there is only 3 or four references made
    regarding women's history or issues !!!! Therefore after going back and
    forth
    contacting and calling many curriculum resources we have come to
    realize...what we have always known....if one wants to teach one's daughter

    about women and issues where women play important roles...one must end up
    designing an entire curricular area of study !!!!! That idea in itself is
    scarry enough to ''scare the intellectual daylights'' out of any woman,
    including a born, self taught and hard core feminist like me !!!!! So here
    Iam feeling overwhelmed by the prospect of teaching my daughter what I have
    been preaching for sometime... Designing, writing, researching,
    formating...a
    curriculum and not loose sight that it most be presented in a way that is
    both academically sound and fun for this young girl. I have began putting
    some ideas into paper concerning social studies, many areas of history,
    religion, a little philosophy, literature, mythology etc. with the
    notion of presenting a balanced, slightly academically formal view,
    with a less known and tried feminine perspective to these major
    areas of study... it is not an easy task.Can someone offer some
    suggestions please ? And can someone tell me how
    to contact that Chicago girls school (the first in the country?)
    with a feminist academic curriculum?
    Thanks !
    Lesemann
    C123S105L@aol.com