[EDEQUITY] homeschool resources

From: Nancy Gruver (nancyg@newmoon.org)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 10:04:40 EDT

    I'm a mother who homeschooled my daughters (now 19) in part because of
    our concern for the lack of gender equity in the schools and
    curriculum in our community. over the years we adopted an
    "unschooling" approach which meant that our daughters had the freedom
    to choose what and when they would do academic study and what and when
    they would learn in a non-academic way.

    great resources for both homeschooling & unschooling are at:
    www.holtgws.com
    www.home-ed-magazine.com
    and i highly recommend subscribing to the "growing without schooling"
    newsletter (at the holtgws site above). it has been invaluable to us.
    a fantastic, inspiring book is "the teenage liberation handbook" by
    grace llewellyn - can be ordered at 541-686-2315 & also request a copy
    of the genius tribe catalog which recommends many other resources.
    the perspective is definitely feminist.

    more specifically about resources on women, the national women's
    history project is an excellent resource at www.nwhp.org. i also
    highly recommend a new book by riane eisler called "tomorrow's
    children", published by westview. it's about "partnership education"
    which values women and men, all races, all cultures equally. the book
    includes extensive resources about women and girls and how our
    accomplishments and strengths must be part of all education. another
    good source of specific research/recommendations is at www.aauw.org

    there's also a newsletter/journal called "feminist teacher" which i've
    never actually seen a copy of but the most recent contact number i
    have for it (i think the editorship passes to different people) is
    508-285-7722, marcy michaud. don't know if it would be helpful or not
    since i haven't seen it.

    and you might be interested in checking out new moon magazine & new
    moon network, which i publish (www.newmoon.org). we have a "herstory"
    department in every issue of the girls' magazine and also feature
    women and their work every issue.

    good luck in your journey with your daughter - both of you are lucky
    to be doing it!

    Nancy Gruver
    New Moon Publishing
    PO Box 3620
    Duluth, MN 55803-3620
    nancyg@newmoon.org
    voice: 218-728-5507, ext. 11
    fax: 218-728-0314
    New Moon: The Magazine for Girls and Their Dreams
    New Moon Network: For Adults Who Care About Girls
    www.newmoon.org
    Between The Moon & You - Gifts for Girls & Women
    www.newmooncatalog.com