[EDEQUITY] Government Seeks Single-Sex Schools

From: Nancy J. Stone (NancJStone@AOL.CNAME-MCE@LISTSERV.UMD.EDUOM)
Date: Wed Sep 25 2002 - 10:26:24 EDT

A middle school in my district has a history of being a very low performing
school, and about 90% of the students are on free/reduced lunch. Beginning
this year, they have made the school a coed school, but with single-sex
classes. It is the only one in the district at this time.
Everyone will have their own opinion on this issue. I attended an all-girl
high school in which a large percentage of the students were from
lower-income homes. I thought it was a wonderful experience because we
weren't embarrassed to do well in school, we weren't wrapped up in how we
looked, or if some girl was talking to our boyfriend, etc.
I hope the school in my district does well with this concept, especially at
the middle school level. Middle school kids are hard enough to teach
without all the outside stuff interfering.

Nancy
<NancJStone@AOL.CNAME-MCE@LISTSERV.UMD.EDUOM