[EDEQUITY]Coeducation work for all students but....

From: Darcy Lees (DLees@ospi.wednet.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 27 2002 - 09:02:26 EDT

I'm not sure I follow Stephanie Barlow's meaning in the last paragraph or
how her information relates to single-sex education. In Washington state
boys continue to out score girls on college admissions tests which are
primarily objective in format. The Washington Assessment for Student
Learning is a very different format having both objective and written
response questions and being untimed.

The success of girls on the WASL tests would indicate to me that
coeducational education can now work for all students since it was
historically girls who were underperforming. If boys are not currently
performing as well on the WASL, we need to ask why--is the reason test
format, lack of interest by boys in responding to open-ended questions,
learning styles, etc.

I am unaware and do not agree "that states like Washington that are opposed
to providing effective language arts instruction to male students."

Darcy Lees
<DLees@ospi.wednet.edu>