Re: Parents want to know how to proceed regarding discrimination at

Linda Purrington (
Thu, 05 Mar 1998 20:03:29 -0800

Precedence: bulk

Moreover, if the school will not take the incidents seriously, and you
want to pursue the matter, we have had some good results going directly
to the state credentials commission; they are not eager to keep deadwood
around, although they may let them go off to another state with no black
marks. And they are less likely to go for the real culprits--the
administrators. You have some excellent and rather similar Title IX
cases in your area, and there are good lawyers there, too. Linda
Purrington, Title IX Advocates <>
_________________________________________________________ wrote:
> Your school system should have an offical Title IX grievance policy. (it's
> required under Title IX) You, as a parent, should have been given info
> about it at the begining of the schoolyear. (you may have seen a reference
> to it in the list of policies that go out the first week of school, or it
> may be in the school's student handbook.)
> the grievance policy should lay out the steps -- usually sending a letter
> to the Title IX coordianator is a way to start. Usually involvement of OCR
> is the final step, if you can't get resolution at the local level.
> You can't just put something in a teachers file, there are controls on
> that, but it is possible IF the district finds in your favor in the
> grievance.
> Ray Rose
> ______________________________________________
> Regarding the music teacher's refusal to include women we received phone
> call from Dr.Saffer TItle IX coordinator and also assistant superintendent of
> our district.....
> Lesemann <>

new message to this message