Thu, 21 Jan 1999 09:51:43 -0500
WOMEN'S EQUALITY SUMMIT
AND WOMEN LEADERS ONLINE/WOMEN ORGANIZING FOR CHANGE
The first Women's Equality Summit will be held this year in Washington, DC
on Monday and Tuesday, March 15-16.
The purpose of the Summit is to bring together leaders and members of
the National Council of Women's Organizations (NCWO), made up of
over 100 groups representing millions of women nationwide.
This will be the first time in many years that so many women leaders
will be gathered in Washington. And we hope to make a big impression!
Participants in the Summit will educate themselves -- and their
Senators and Representatives -- on the NCWO Agenda:
1. Protecting Social Security and ending disadvantages to women in
2. Securing affordable, quality child care as a national priority
for all who need it
3. Improving access to health care by increasing funding for family
planning, requiring contraception insurance coverage, enacting
patient bills of rights, removing gender bias from Medicare and
Medicaid, ending restrictions to abortion access, and increasing
funding for the protection of and enforcement of measures to counter
anti-abortion clinic terrorism
4. Supporting the ratification of the United Nations Convention for
the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW)
by the Senate, and measures to oppose gender apartheid in Afghanistan
5. Supporting Fair Pay legislation
6. Ending hate violence against all citizens and supporting the Hate
Crimes Prevention Act
After the Summit, participants will take these issues back to their
local communities to build grassroots support.
For more information, visit http://wlo.org/summit
Forwarded by firstname.lastname@example.org
This archive was generated by hypermail 2.0b3 on Wed Jan 27 1999 - 11:41:45 EST