More Information about the Positive & Negative Numbers PD Course
A. Introductory Workshop
What will you do in the workshop?
- Focus on 6th and 7th grade standards for positive/negative numbers from Common Core State Standards.
- Explore two models: number line representation and chip model.
- Use multiple approaches including visual representations and kinesthetic activities.
- Learn to use diagnostic probes for finding out about studentsí understandings and misconceptions.
- Try research-based strategies for addressing student misconceptions.
- Examine and discuss student work samples.
B. On-Line Sessions
Format: 5 one–week sessions
Expectations: Spend about 4–6 hours per session.
No prior experience with on–line courses needed.
What will you do in the online sessions?
- Explore positive/negative number standards in-depth by using a variety of approaches to solve math problems.
- Learn about research on student misconceptions and effective instructional practices.
- Watch and discuss video clips of math lessons and student math interviews.
- Use probes, examine student work, and sort work samples by type of misconception.
- Apply diagnostic findings to plan targeted instruction.
- Individualize your learning by choosing activities and topics to focus on.
- Share ideas in the online discussions.
- Plan ways to apply ideas with students in the upcoming school year.