Building Math Knowledge for Teaching Fractions to Struggling Learners
TEACHER REGISTRATION: Requirements for Participation
Please read the information below. Then fill out the Teacher Registration Form.
Professional Development Requirements
Teachers are expected to attend all 3 components:
- Summer Institute: attend the 3-day institute on August 7-9, 2012 at EDC in Waltham, MA
- The sessions meet from 8:30-3:30. Lunch will be provided.
- You are expected to attend all 3 days.
- On-line Course: 7-sessions long (Sept. 26 – Nov. 20th)
- The first six sessions are 1-week long and the last session is 2-weeks long.
- Each session involves about 3 hours of work that you can do at times of your convenience during the session’s time period.
- What are you expected to do? View videos, examine student work, solve math problems, use computer applets, read articles, contribute to the online discussions, try ideas with your students, and reflect on your experiences.
- No prior experience with on-line courses is needed. EDC facilitators will be available to provide support.
- Workshop: Thursday, December, 6, 2012 at EDC in Waltham, MA
- The session runs from 8:30 -3:00. Lunch will be provided.
We are conducting research on the program for our National Science Foundation grant. The research findings will be used to analyze the program’s impact and to make improvements. You will not be evaluated in any way. Your information will be confidential and anonymous.
What will we ask you to do?
- Informational Survey: Complete a background info survey before the program begins and an evaluation survey to give us feedback after the program ends. Time: 10-15 minutes
- Math Teaching Survey: Complete the online instrument before the program begins and after it ends. You will be asked to watch short videos of math lessons, write about your observations, and answer questions about math content and pedagogy. Time: 45-60 minutes.
- Phone Conversation to Debrief the PD: Have a phone conversation with an EDC researcher after the program ends (at a time of your convenience). Time: 30 minutes
- Student Surveys: Give your students (one section) a short survey and a fractions assessment in September and again after you finish teaching fractions. The survey (about 10 minutes) asks students opinion questions about math. The assessment (about 30 minutes) asks fraction problems that provide good practice for MCAS. The EDC research team will help you administer the instruments.
Stipend for Completing Research Activities: $800
PDPs for Participating in PD Program: 45 hours
Please complete the Teacher Registration Form.