THE HEART OF LISTENING
It takes work and self-control. We can lost interest.
Suppressing our urge to talk can be hard. We need to be silent.
Set aside our own needs.
The Do's and Taboos of Listening
- Do stay focused
- Do be mostly silent
- Do follow
- Do be receptive
- Do ask open-ended questions
- How does that make you feel?
- What is that like for you?
- Can you tell me more about that?
- What do you think that means?
- How are you handling that?
- Can you explain that to me?
- How were things different before?
- Don't lead
- Don't judge
- Don't interrupt
- Don't advise
- Don't say "I know how you feel." "Don't feel that way."
[Return to List of Listening Tools]
[Return to Promising Practice]
[Return to Resources and Tools]
© 2000 St. Thomas Hospice
Published here with permission.