Title IX

From: edequity@phoenix.edc.org
Date: Mon Apr 24 2000 - 12:42:59 EDT

    Most of us have historical and social contexts that help explain how
    well we have done with our own individual talents, and that probably
    includes Amber. Those contexts are responsible for the anger on both
    sides of the land disputes currently going on in Zimbabwe; and they
    certainly inform the debate over Title IX. The notion that women are
    equal is really very recent; and it is also very limited--women still
    own only 1 percent of the world's land, a fact in relationship to which
    we each are positioned. And it is precisely because this notion is so
    recent and so regional that men/boys are likely to view anything less
    than 100 percent as less than their due. The law sometimes goes out
    ahead of the population and the social change its welfare requires, and
    sometimes it lags. Title IX lags, both in conception and enforcement;
    but it is the best law we have so far. What it needs is to be placed in
    the form of a constitutional amendment assuring much stronger courtroom
    support. To focus on the OCR's regulations is trivializing the social
    enormity of the need, in any case.

    Linda Purrington
    Title IX Advocates
    lpurring@earthlinknet